Sunday 1 December 2013

Inga from Sweeden

Double-knitted cowl by Asplund
Double-knitted cowl, a photo by Asplund on Flickr.
A big stranded cowl by Born to knit inspired me to cast on to make something similar, in shape if not pattern and colours.

Hers is folded but I decided to use the double-knitting technique as I've quickly become addicted to it and want to take advantage of it in different ways. The jacket I'm making (see previous post) will be reversible but the two sides look different thanks to the use of colours and pattern shapes. For this cowl I want the two sides identical, though, which called for a different kind of pattern.

I don't normally choose variegated yarns, but fell in love with this black wool with its hints of grey and red - which makes it look like a Christmas project, to my immense surprise! Signs of a midlife crisis? If I have ever knitted for Christmas I stopped years ago - there are so many deadlines in life I do my best to keep them away from my knitting. Well, at least it doesn't have to be finished by Christmas.
Swedish Inga

Many of the colourways from Östergötlands ullspinneri have human names, and this particular one is called Inga. (Black for Swedish sin, red for passion?)

To make the cowl easier to wrap I twisted it on purpose. Isn't it strange how difficult it is to do that on purpose when it happens so easily by mistake?

My copy of Alice Starmore's Tudor Roses arrived a couple of days ago. I'm completely overwhelmed by it - and my expectations were extremely high. Lavish, splendid, gorgeous, intelligent... Words defy me!

5 comments:

Ann said...

I am in love with the graphic stitch pattern, and the humble variegated yarn is sophisticated.

What is a Swedish sin? Interesting!

I knew it! I knew it! When I saw the new Alice Starmore and daughters book, I knew this would be a fantastic combination for you!
Knitting, Tudors, Alice Starmore and complicated .... a definition of your knitting.
I am especially in love with the Jane Seymour jacket.

Have a nice day!

blodeuedd said...

Very elegant and quite masculine. Will it be yours?
I, too, have been quite overwhelmed by the new Tudor Roses. I've never seen a knitting book where I want to knit almost everything right now.

Anonymous said...

Re. Swedish sins, I remember once someone saying that for a Swede, the worst thing you could do would be to cross the road without waiting for the green man! (No idea if this gross generalisation about the law-abiding nature of Swedes has any grain of truth in it.)

You are the perfect person to make full use of the Tudor book! I look forward to seeing your creations.

Carolina said...

I love the pattern you chose for the double knitting!

Nina.ander1960 said...

Vilket vackert mönster! Hoppas du snart har stick-café på malmgården då jag inte kan vara med på din kurs i januari på litet nystan:(