Sunday 27 May 2012

For, by and with Nicolas

Cardigan and sweater by Asplund
Cardigan and sweater, a photo by Asplund on Flickr.
This morning I was thrilled to discover that Nicolas Ottersten had sent me photos from his graduation show at Central Saint Martins in London. Here you see the cardigan and the sweater I made.

This was a truly rewarding project in many ways. After exchanging emails and talking on the phone a couple of times we spent a day together. The room was practically covered with my sweaters, his sketches, my swatches, his hanks of yarn etc. It was fascinating how well we understood each other, approaching the same goal from different starting points. We learnt things from each other too: I about different garment shapes and he about construction, like avoiding raglan seams by knitting the yoke in one piece.

Best of all, I feel I've made a friend. Not that I know for certain if or when we'll meet again, but I felt as if we got inside each other's minds in a way that has made a lasting impression on me.

Here's his collection - wish I could have been there and seen it:

12 comments:

torirot said...

Så kult!

Lola said...

I don't know any men in my life who would be caught dead wearing these pants, but the jackets, cardigans and sweaters are really nice!

ylva said...

wow!Vilken grej! måste vara väldigt spännande. Så snyggt det är sen. Här finns en framtid !!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hats off to you both! I really like how your creations are both modern but to my eyes also classic. That sounds like a very fun project. I hope you get to collaborate again!

Francesca said...

How wonderful! They are both beautiful pieces. Any chance of more photos?

Congratulations on making it to the catwalk. :)

Monstermønster said...

Så utrolig flott! Så moro å få være med på noe så stilig!

Godt håndverk fra din side, flotte plagg.

dqpage said...

wow ! congratulations !
Mona

Anonymous said...

Congratulations. Beautiful creations.
Ron

chantelevent said...

Vos deux réalisations sont très réussies même si je préfère de beaucoup le sweater... tout-à-fait portable aussi par une femme (et ce quel que soit son âge).
Je suis désolée de ne pouvoir vous dire mon admiration en anglais mais si j'arrive à le lire, je ne peux le parler et encore moins l'écrire.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful! Thanks for posting this.

Carolina said...

What an interesting project! Seeing these makes me appreciate brown more.

Kerry said...

Special garments you made, what a shame you couldn't be there.