Wednesday 2 November 2011

Asplund stitches

Roman head by Asplund
Roman head, a photo by Asplund on Flickr.
A few years ago I did quite a lot of needlepoint and cross-stitch (Flickr set here) but it wasn't until I came across this needlepoint design by Candace Bahouth at Wincent that I returned to stitching.

I completed the last stitch half an hour ago, and as you can see it will have to be blocked into a square shape. It was a lot of fun to make with all the different kinds of patterns, and I love working with this orgy of colours - you just couldn't knit it, unless you don't mind knitwear about 5 centimetres thick. I haven't decided how to use it, but might make a cushion.

6 comments:

Knitting-twitter said...

it looks great..
ciao ciao Christa

Carolina said...

Wow that's great! I also looked at your Flickr group and was really impressed. I love those chairs with the Morris designs. Can you really block one like your new one square? I've read that one should stitch on a frame but that feels so awkward.

Marie said...

I'm so impressed! Your needle work gallery is magnificent!

MarieW

Anonymous said...

Wow, I am very impressed. You are a talented needleworker!

Kerry said...

What a beautiful needlepoint,gorgeous colours, Ehrman do some wonderful designs. Before I started knitting I used to do needlepoint and had many of them made into cushions, so many that we have had to put some away in plastic bags in a cupboard!

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, nearly looks like a portrait of yourself to me; hence it might mean you fell in love with yourself (which doesn't hurt) ;-)
I agree with the lot - admire the entire work, yet have slight problems with the lack of symmetry in the corner blocks for anchors. Yet: who cares since the bigger part is so marvellous!

LG,
Gerlinde
(stumbled across your blog just recently - haven't got a clue, whether you'll ever find this comment.
No 'RSVP' necessary - don't have blog of my own)